Friday, May 18, 2007

Before I forget

I just re-read my 'Finally, I am Back' post and realized what I was talking about.

First - the grading. I want to become more active with students assessing themselves. I need to read about this because I am not familiar with how it works in a classroom. Also, I think I need to go back to lit circle roots and use particpation charts and observation in my grading. To me that is more important than the final product many times.

Second - the mistake. I said I made a mistake about asking the students to share how they felt about themselves as writers after I did my poetry assignment and not before. At first I felt like the whole process should begin with the students being asked to think about how they felt about writing. Now I am glad that I made the mistake because I have two different situations to compare.

NOTE TO SELF - next year, start with the 4 corners statements to get the kids thinking about their own attitudes right away.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Renee, I think Jason's blog showing his student-designed rubric is a great example of assigning grades with student input. It looked like his students really were pretty astute in assessing what was important and put together a great rubric.

Jason Clarke said...

Thanks Natalie. I was just about to mention my project, how fantastic to see you already did! I was actually amazed by how well they did designing their rubric. But more on that process will be coming to my own blog soon.

One thing that I think is really cool, Renee, is how you have stuck with the writing circles idea and found ways to make it work. That is really a fantastic example of teacher research. Even though I teach High School, I think that some of these ideas would work for me.

Assigning each student to become a "master" of one of the six traits in a small group and then to join another group specifically to target that trait in his/her peers' papers would work really well, I think. Sort of a jigsaw/writing circle/workshop thingy.

respo said...

Yes Jason, my next step is to make the traits more involved in my roles. I need to review Lit Circles and new 6-trait material I received from my district.

It is growing and I am excited about them! I am going to go check out your blog now :)