Sunday, July 1, 2007

Day 4 Morning Pages - Background Influences

My topic of writer’s workshop affects me in so many ways. First, it makes me try to get students to become more social about their learning. It is hard because they have not figured out how to use their forces for good instead of evil just yet. This creates moments of wonder – are they ready to think on this level??? Then I listen to us and I wonder if, we are ready? Are the expectations unfair? How often do we not go off task?

I think I also have become biased about it. I don’t really feel that I want to go backwards and have them write individually about any given content driven assignment. Hmmm, I find that I am developing a bias about all of the content driven assignments too. I want my students to love writing as I do. My BA is in Creative Writing. How can I teach a love of writing while do compare and contrast papers? I can teach the purpose of writing and the functions of writing using these content driven papers…but where’s the love???

Honestly, I am listening for data and opinions that back up my theories too. It is like when you buy a car and then you see all the other cars on the road like yours – but they hardly existed for you before. I am a firm believer in the idea that you can back up whatever you want to if you look hard enough – does that make it right?

As for the students – I think I am their first true workshop stop. They do partnering things and stations before my room, but I do not think they experience writing groups. Now I wonder if I should say writing groups instead of workshop??? I think some of them have had bad experiences with partners and don’t want to try. The trust has to be developed. Then there are the teacher pleasers and the rubric readers who do not want to move with my approval. How did grades become so important in middle school?

No comments: