Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Rice Cereal Stuck to My Pajamas

It is 9:13. I am tired, but I am afraid if I don't use it I will lose it. "It" being my understanding of how to blog.

I have been trying to collect student data for my writing circles. There are so many questions and things I want to try that I know it won't all happen this year. My hope is to get two good workshops in before the end of the year. One is with poetry and the other will be a narrative (I think?).

The struggles I come up with are always the same: how do I get them to discuss the writing, how do I get them to truly revise their work, how do I assess discussion. I will be trying a question sheet specifically about their writing circles experience tomorrow.

The permission slips will go out tomorrow too. I wonder what the response will be.

After reading COA's chapter 3, I really think a lot of my answers are going to be with student self-assessments - giving more control to them. I think conferencing is a must. I would like to let them create their own writing assignments, but I won't be able to do that before the year is out. I will try letting them create groups by the roles they want to take next time - one corner organizational editor, another corner voice finder, etc. - then create the groups based on their role preference.

I hope some of this makes sense. My son is asleep and I think it is time for me to scrape the rice cereal off of my pajamas ( I am too lazy to actually change!).

2 comments:

smb said...

lol! While I have not had rice cereal stuck to my pajamas in awhile (my neices live too far away!), I certainly feel just as overwhelmed as you. I sent out my permission to quote stuff today with the hopes I receive it back on Friday. I'm planning on giving students the survey then. It's kindof cool that I'm researching something that my students in College Research are doing. They seem -- at least the appeared that way!-- to be shocked? interested? amazed? that I would actually do research myself! Amazing I don't just teach research! I actually conduct it! Or maybe they were counting down the days left of school in their heads, and I misconstrued their glazed looks.

Oh! P.S. I'm super excited that kids are coming to the h.s. with writing group experience! Love that!

Cindy O-A said...

News Flash: Teacher research is never ending. Kinda like writing--it's never done, it's only due. You'll share provisional findings along the way and we'll get to share the journey with you.

Keep the faith, baby.