Monday, July 2, 2007

A Few More Forgotten Questions

I was flipping through my notebook and I realized that I had some other questions. Here they are:
1. What are my assumptions about writing workshops?
2. Is it a good or bad practice to pick a few students to concentrate on when collecting data?
3. How do workshops effect high, middle, low level students?
4. If students enjoy creative assignments vs. content driven assignments, am I doing a disservice doing so much content based curriculum?
5. Do writing circle discussions matter as much as literature discussions?
6. Do discussions need to be formally assessed?

2 comments:

Jason Clarke said...

On question #2. I wonder if many teacher researchers focus so much on one or a small group of kids more for practical reasons. It seems daunting to try to analyze an entire class, and in terms of qualitative analysis, it's very difficult to do a large-scale study.

I'm really trying to keep my research focused on the class as a whole, because I think that it's better to try to address the needs of all the learners in my room. It doesn't make the research work any easier, though, that's for sure.

Anonymous said...

I think you have a great collection of questions to accompany a solid research question. I wish my own were as focused as yours appears to be. Also, having taught junior high I think you're right on with the idea of structure being essential for these students!