Friday, July 20, 2007

Researcher's Timeline

This is my researcher’s timeline for 2007/2008 school year. There are many parts that I marked for videotaping in hopes of getting some quality footage when editing. It is not definite that I will be able to video tape as much as I want to this year, I have never tried to do it before. It is also missing the goal for publishing, I am a little lost on that one :)

Key
Personal goals = blue
Surveys = green
Videotaping = pink


Mid August

School starts – LA 8 integrated with SS (American History)
Hand out T-R permission slips

Continue reading Nancy Atwell’s Writing Workshops

Complete 4-corners survey with students about writing preferences

Late August

Social Skills/ Multiple Intelligences project ~ complete using literature circles (goal is to connect lit circle roles to writing circle roles)
VIDEOTAPE

Mid September

Letter format assignment ~ complete using writing circles (make connection to lit circles) VIDEOTAPE

Complete notes from Literature Circles, Daniels

Late September

“Trail of Tears” reading assignment ~ use lit circles VIDEOTAPE

“Trail of Tears” writing assignment ~ use writing circles VIDEOTAPE

Meet with CSUWPAI

Beg October

Summaries writing assignment ~ complete using small circles VIDEOTAPE

Begin to edit videos


Mid October

Compare/Contrast writing assignment ~ writing circles VIDEOTAPE


Beg November

Journalism writing assignment ~ writing circles VIDEOTAPE

Finish reviewing primary data

Mid November

British Viewpoint reading assignment/homogeneous groups ~ lit circles VIDEOTAPE

Beg December

Character Sketch writing assignment ~ writing circles VIDEOTAPE

Survey writing circles

Meet with inquiry group (??)

Prep for CSUWPAI conference

Beg January

Flowers for Algernon ~ Lit circles

End January

Editorial writing assignment ~ writing circles

CSUWPAI conference

End February

“Why Do We Have a Bill of Rights?” reading assignment ~ lit circles

Beg March

“The Street” ~ lit circles

Mid April

Boasting Poem writing assignment ~ writing circles

Beg May

“Most Horrible Day/ Best Day” writing assignment ~ writing circles VIDEOTAPE

Survey writing circles and lit circles

Continue to review primary data

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

Renee, I'm impressed by your timeline! I may have to steal the idea.

As I read over it, I had one question. Will you have to get special permission to videotape your students? I ask primarily because of what I have learned from working with Cindy. We are interested in tape recording student conversations during book clubs and we will need approval from my district before we do so. Obviously, I would not tape record my students during the normal course of instruction, so I have to get permission for this aspect of our research. Videotaping may be different, but I assume you probably haven't videotaped the students in the past. It might just be something to check out before you are swept up in the hustle of a new school year.

Anonymous said...

Renee, I agree with Rebecca that any kind of recording warrants special attention to permission. Poudre had a specific policy, I suspect your district does as well. Given that caveat I think the videotaping is a great idea! What better way to SHOW how students engage in the discussion. As they say a picture is worth 1,000 words and this would allow viewing of body language as well as speaking, a great insight to the true level of student engagement in a process.

As far as publishing - I think putting together a presentation with the videotaping connection IS publishing in a sense. I wouldn't worry too much about the publishing anyway, seems to me that you're going to have more than enough information to expand to the the written format pretty easily - especially since you've got such a good handle on the structure of your research now.

smb said...

To repeat -- wow! I'm impressed. I love that you have color coordinated the timeline! Make sure to print off a copy and post it where you'll see the time line at school.

Ditto on the videotaping thing, while I'm doubting Re-2 has a policy, you'd be better off asking.

P.S. I love that kids are reading Flowers for Algernon. Any thoughts on adding a civil war novel? Across Five Aprils? Red Badge of Courage? You know it's what's best for kids. :) And, you have the support of the high school English Department.

Jason Clarke said...

Excellent time line, nicely done.

I really think Flowers for Algernon is brilliant, and if you want a civil war novel, Red Badge of Courage is hard to beat.

It looks like you'll be busy this year, but it will be productive work.

Anonymous said...

I agree with smb about Across Five Aprils - reading this book made me want to teach English! :) I remember reading Flowers for Algernon when I was in high school and it's such a great example of voice, the changes are so subtley fascinating.