Monday, June 18, 2007

Kagan training

I am doing a 2 day training for Kagan cooperative learning. Honestly it has been a bit disappointing. Most of the structures are ones I already use and did not realize that they were "Kagan". The rest feels EXTREMELY elementary - this is okay and usually I can adapt to secondary, but it is so far out there that I am not sure I can adapt.

Positive parts: I did find that they suggest 6 weeks for groups. This was a question I had about writing circles - how long do I keep them in the same groups? So now I have some researched answer to lean on for a while.

I was also shown a pretty cool way to keep track of students and to make heterogeneous groups. It involves index cards and is pretty elaborate, but i think it might to have the reminder of levels and possible growth.


Kagan also pushes STRUCTURED cooperative learning and claims that unstructured paired work will actually decrease test scores. We were told that if you were unable to structure the lesson then you were better off doing "cemetary" style teaching so all students would be assessed.

I am very behind - I am banking on the idea that others are too. If you aren't behind though - could you lie to me because I might start to panic :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay - although I think I'm pretty up to speed as far as the work I should be doing I'm feeling totally lost on the next step - so I think that counts the same as being behind!

Interesting comments on the cooperative learning bit. I remember first hearing about this nearly 20 years ago, I wonder if it was "Kagan training" at that time or if it's resurfaced with a new title? As I get older I never cease to be amazed at the curriculum spiral that is in place. Things really do seem to come into favor then go out, then come back a few years later - all buffed and shiny new, but basically the same nonetheless.

The cooperative learning model I was first exposed to relied heavily on accountability for all students. While I am not terribly fond of "group work" for reasons that are probably pretty obvious, I did find the idea of cooperative learning to be pretty valid - at least at the elementary level. I felt it was a great way to help those higher achieving students understand that the lower achieving students have insightful, valid and worthwhile input as well. Because we all know that regardless of the lack of "labels" the students know which kids are the "smart" kids and which aren't. Honestly, well done I thought it was a great equalizing tool.

You did through out a new term I am totally unfamiliar with though. What exactly is meant by the term "cemetary?" Completely baffled by that.

Very much looking forward to working with you in the summer institute! See you in person soon.

Jason Clarke said...

Like Natalie, I am intrigued, but a bit baffled by the use of the word "cemetary" teaching. I assume it's the opposite of cooperative learning--each student working independently.

The important thing to remember is that group work is best for exploratory and critical thinking assignments, when you're asking students to genuinely learn or discover something new. It can be worked in as part of a formative assessment, though I think that preliminary diagnostic and summative assessment has to be individual if it's going to be accurate or useful.